Wednesday, September 12, 2007

French leave revisited/ Filer à l'anglaise

A recent visitor from the town of Tabor, in the Czech Republic, seemed to be looking for the French equivalent of “French leave” (my post of 1Aug07). Unfortunately, he/she did not understand enough of the French to realize that the translation was provided in the second paragraph.

I did a different kind of research, found an English/Czech on-line dictionary and looked for the Czech equivalent which turned out to be "vytratit se", which appears to make sense to me.

The Russian verb equivalent would be "prokradyvatsa".

Overall, it is the idea of leaving silently and without being noticed.

No comments: